Team Vet HQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About Helheim...

4 posters

Go down

About Helheim... Empty About Helheim...

Post  Ironhawk Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:47 pm

So, as an expander, Helheim worked out pretty well. But as we move into the early war stage of the game, I'm finding them to be pretty lackluster. The thing that really makes them suffer is that even a glancing arrow hit will shatter their glamor which they rely on so heavily. And once another player realizes this, my Helhirds/Huskarls go from threatening to just average. Since CTis has no archers whatsoever, I still think I will be a match for him - however thinking ahead I am worried about what the future holds. Particularly against Sauro with thier preponderance of bows.

Do you guys have any suggestions for army makeups and/or research priorties to really leverage the power out of this nation?

Ironhawk

Back to top Go down

About Helheim... Empty Re: About Helheim...

Post  lingchih Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:24 pm

Have you read Baalz' guide? It's actually a pretty good one, although I don't know how well it will apply to your build.

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=41801

lingchih

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironhawk Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:04 pm

No I hadn't I'll read that later tonight.

What do you all think of Mist (Evo 3) as my next research target? Like a poor man's Arrow Fend to try and help out my glamor'd units a little.

Ironhawk

Back to top Go down

Post  lingchih Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:43 pm

Mist seems to work OK. I tested it. Looked like about 50% less missile hits on the glamoured troops.

lingchih

Back to top Go down

Post  TheDemon Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:16 am

It'd difficult, since recruited archers can script fire calvary and then you've got a problem. I usually use Serf Warrior squads (10 or so) in front as archer decoys. PD usually won't fire at your calvary until it's too late. Mist and Storm are certainly options. Gift of Flight will help you close BUT I think the problem is once you're closed, which makes Mist not great either.

I would honestly play with just thugs and bodyguards. Vanjarls, Vanhereses and Dis can all cast Air Shield and if you stick them with a bodyguard they'll only get hit by 10% of arrows, then they get a shield as well for parry. Shield of Gleaming Gold has a parry value of 9, one of the highest AFAIK, so that's why it gets recommended so highly. You might also need brands.

TheDemon

Back to top Go down

Post  atul Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:02 am

He's got F9 bless which overrides brand effect, so Brands aren't that cool for Hel.

atul

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironhawk Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:17 am

Oh, I'm all for using Vanjarls with shields of gold. That seems like a really solid strategy. However, even if I produced one every round and it was similarly equipped - how could I be expected to fight any kind of large scale engagement? I mean, they are awesome for raiding I'll grant that. But the first time I come up against a moderate army backed by even a handful of Evo mages I will get crushed.

Ironhawk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum